No Hope
One year ago it showed up in the night sky as a second moon. Three months later, scientists found out the moon was a ghost comet. Two other words to sum it all up; no hope. Once they finally told the public it was one year to impact.
Panic struck the world like an iron fist. Mass suicide, civil war, and world leaders being assassinated one by one. Are world is ending as we know it, and there’s nothing we can do to stop it. In the fight for supplies few lived and many died. These are the journal entries of the last American solider in the final days of humanity
1/12/73
“Click”, the sound of a hand gun being cocked was the first sound I woke up to, followed by “Arstrhang vangeh nulsion‼” I could feel the cold steel of the barrel being held to my head. My heart was racing faster then the top race horses in the world. Every potential weapon I had was stripped from me, except for a seven and half inch knife, strapped to my thigh. Once I wiggled my hand free, I got a grasp on the grip. The first thing I did was swing as hard as I possibly could. The blade sliced through the mans throat, it tore through his muscles and veins. Warm blood ran down my hands… it was time to go.
1/14/73
As I made my way out of the building I couldn’t believe my eyes, what I saw was horrifying. Blood stained churches, mass graves, dismembered bodies, and fires burning everywhere. Guns, all over the ground AK’s, snipers, handguns, grenades and under them…dead American soldiers. Johnson, Smallz, Sanchez my squad members gone. We had lost the war and I’m the only one alive.
1/15/73
Making my way out of the Satanic city, loneliness was really hitting hard. I missed everyone, because they had been like brothers to me. Every night I slept I saw their faces smiling and happy, but now I see in their eyes bloodshed, fire, and most of all the fear that they aren’t coming back home, alive.
1/17/73
I roam the woods forging for food and shelter, if I’m lucky I’ll run into a gang of thieves or bandits. It could be a good thing and on the other hand it could backfire like a nuclear bomb. So, in my case, sleeping with one eye open isn’t the worst idea.
1/19/73
Well last night a gang of bandits appeared all around me, nothing left to do but try to befriend them. Earn their trust, gain respect, and hopefully stay alive longer than I would on my own.
1/21/73
I’ve herd enough‼‼ Everything is gone the U.S., Army Rangers, and Air Force One didn’t even make it to the safe zone. I have learned to much and I know too much. The ghost comet panic has made the last of the population go crazy and kill each other. No one will survive at this rate.
1/25/73
Five days till’ impact. Everything is going to end, the bandits all poisoned themselves last night. I just might do the same or dye trying to stop the comet.
1/29/73
………NO HOPE………
1/30/73
Goodbye
I love the prologue; it's written with no emotion and sets up your nightmare world perfectly.
ReplyDeleteYour nightmare continues with the terror that human beings create -- a sad comment on our true nature.
Excellent use of similes and word choice throughout. Bravo!
I like how you made it sound like he was writing in his notebook, overall it was pretty good
ReplyDeleteGreat story. I loved the way you journaled it from his point of view. I absolutely loved the ending.
ReplyDelete